I am so pregnant. Everything is full: stomach, fingers, toes, even my ears. We're in the "any minute" stage and in a word, it's difficult. Not only are we excited to meet our sweet girl, but one of us is getting bigger and more uncomfortable as each day passes. Coming up with ways to pass the time has not been easy, and so it is with the best, but admittedly half-a**ed, intentions that I bring you this list of 5 ways to bide your time as you await your little babe:
1. Pack your bags. Be certain you have all of the delivery day essentials set to go. Ours has been sitting around for the last month, and I still find myself adding little things here and there. Follow this link for a list of labor and delivery must-haves.
2. Cook. Cooking meals that can be placed in the freezer and reheated at a later date is so wise, and I wish I were motivated to do it. I know that once the baby arrives cooking will not be a priority, and I am shaking my finger at myself as I admit that not only have I not frozen a meal, but our refrigerator cupboards are in a sad state - meaning, lacking essential ingredients to make a respectable meal. If you have any ideas about how to make a meal from sea salt, granola bars, dark chocolate, baby carrots and grapefruits, let me know. If you are a planner, check out Cooks.com for a list of recipes that freeze well.
3. Clean. This is the one thing I have mastered. My nesting instinct kicked in about a month ago, and since then, nary a dust bunny has been found. I vacuum at least three times a week, dust like a fiend, and clean countertops, toilets, and the staircase like a machine. It drives Bruno crazy, but I get so much satisfaction out of a sparkling bathtub. And, I know this cleaning spell is fleeting and short-lived. When little girl arrives, I am certain the bunnies will return...with a vengeance.
4. Read. Whether it's baby books or historical fiction, indulge yourself while you have the time. I am currently alternating between Harvey Karp's The Happiest baby on the Block, and this collection of poetry.
5. Invite Friends In. We have the most patient, accomodating friends in the world. For the last month, they have spent virtually every Friday night "in" with us, doing pregnant-friendly things like: playing games, eating take-out, and watching movies. It's been great!
My last recommendation for soon-to-be-mamas is to stay as active as possible. If you have been blessed with a healthy pregnancy, I have found that sticking to your routine is extremely beneficial. I have been able to continue to work, do yoga, and walk...er waddle for the last few weeks, and it's kept me from losing my marbles.
And finally, while the sweet wait doesn't always feel so sweet, in the end I can't think of a more lovely reward than a healthy, delightful little bundle!
Please place any tips that helped you with the wait in the comments section.